Once you set up your support email in your Freshchat account, you will have to connect it with your mailbox to make sure all incoming and new emails get converted into conversations in your chat inbox.
Here's how you can set up a forwarding rule in:
- Open the Gmail account you want to forward emails from. You can only forward messages to a single Gmail address, and not an email group or alias.
- Towards the top-right of the screen, click on the gearbox icon and select Settings from the drop-down list.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the 'Forwarding' section, click Add a forwarding address.
- Enter the Forwarded to email address from under Admin > Email.
- Click Next > Proceed > OK.
- A verification message would be sent to the address. Click the verification link in that message.
Note: Since Google uses a no-reply email address the activation code often gets caught in the spam folder of your Freshchat account.
- Go back to the Settings page of the Gmail account you want to forward messages from and refresh your browser.
- Select 'Forward a copy of incoming mail to', choose if you wish to Keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox (recommended), and Save Changes.
Office 365 forwarding
- Login to your Office 365 portal as an administrator. From the menu on top, click Admin > Exchange.
- From the menu on the left, click Mail Flow.
- Under the Rules section, click the '+' (plus) button and choose to create a new rule.
- Give this rule a name. For example, 'Freshchat forwarding rule' for your own reference.
- In the drop-down menu apply this forwarding rule if, choose: The recipient is.
- From the next page, pick your actual support email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and click OK.
- In the drop-down menu choose 'Redirect the message to'.
- Paste the email address Freshdesk provided (email@example.com or a similar one) and paste it in the 'check names' text box.
- Now, click on the check names button label after you enter the address.
- Now, click OK to leave this page, and click Save from the previous page.
- While at it, ensure that your other users haven't set up forwarding rules in their own Outlook 365 accounts on the web. Only then, this forwarding rule will take effect.