From discovery to closing, sales calls are a crucial part of your sales process. Using Freshworks CRM, you can place calls with the built-in phone without having to shift tabs. This phone channel also allows you to customize your IVR, add business hours, record calls, automatically log calls, mask your number, and analyze vital call metrics.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Buy Phone Numbers
Phone numbers are an essential requirement for making and receiving calls from your account. You can buy phone numbers from over 90 countries.
- Freshworks CRM provides the following number types:
- Local: Numbers corresponding to a particular city or region. Currently, local numbers are available in 90 countries. Click here to see the complete list
- Toll free: Numbers for which the end customers do not have to pay any call charges. With these numbers, your customers can easily reach you from anywhere within the country
- Vanity: Alphanumeric numbers that make it easier for your customers to recall. For example, 1-800-FLOWERS could be the vanity number for a florist. To dial a vanity number, press the keys corresponding to each letter on the dialpad. For example, to dial 1-800-FLOWERS, type 1-800-356937
- To buy a number, go to Admin Settings > Phone (under Communication Channels) > Phone numbers and click Buy New Number.
- You can buy local, toll-free, or vanity numbers. You can also see the cost of each number displayed next to the number.
- To buy a local number:
- Click on the Local tab.
- From the Country drop-down list, select the preferred country. You can also search for the country name using the search box.
- Select the required number and click on the Buy button.
- Note: For the United States, additionally, you can select the preferred state and locality.
- To buy a Toll-free number:
- Click on the Toll-free tab.
- From the Country drop-down list, select the country. You can also search for the country name using the search box. Currently, the toll-free numbers are available for the following countries:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Note: For US and Canada, you can additionally select a prefix for the toll-free numbers you select. For example, 800, 855.
- Select a preferred toll-free number and click on the Buy button.
- To buy a Vanity number:
- To buy Vanity numbers, you can search numbers by digits or phrases.Type a number based on a phrase you are looking for and click on Buy to buy the number.
2. Custom Agent Status
Custom agent availability status enables you to create custom away statuses based on the activities of your agents. For example, you can create statuses like ‘Team huddle’, ‘Onsite’ apart from the 4 custom statuses provided by Freshcaller — Lunch, Break, Meeting, Training.
To create custom agent statuses, go to Admin Settings > Phone (under Communication Channels) > Agent Statuses and click on New Agent Status.
Give a name and assign an emoji to the new status.
Freshworks CRM currently has the following default statuses:
After call work (Unless configured otherwise, ACW is set at 30 seconds. Admins can edit this from the Agent Status screen.)
Forward to phone
Available on browser
On the Agent Status screen, your existing custom statuses and default statuses will be displayed. You can enable or disable statuses for agents from this screen.
3. Call Flows
A call queue allows you to customize the behavior of calls directed to a specific team within your contact center. Once you create a call queue (a type of call flow), you can assign it to a particular number in your contact center. All calls made to that number will then follow the routing behavior specified in the call queue.
When you create a call queue, you can add the routing mechanism for new calls and customized greetings for each routing option. For example, within a call queue, you can record a message to let customers know their queue position (if they’re in a wait queue) or encourage them to leave a voicemail.
- To set up a call queue, go to Admin Settings > Phone (under Communication Channels) > Call flows and click on the New Call Queue option.
- Enter a name for the queue.
- Choose a message or a greeting you wish to play from your list of saved messages or create a new message.
- Select an agent, team, or an external number that will receive all incoming calls.
If you select All agents or a particular team to route the calls, select how you want to route the calls:
- Calling All Agents simultaneously: All agents will receive the call at the same time.
- Calling Most Idle Agent First: The most idle agents in the specified team will receive the call first. Additionally, select the interval (number of seconds) at which the call should ring for each agent.
After specifying the primary behavior of calls to this queue, define the next course of action for 3 scenarios in your call queue:
If agent is online but not answering
If agent is online but busy
For the scenarios mentioned above, you can choose to take any of the following actions:
Send to Voicemail: Select this to send your caller to a voicemail and select the message to be played from the drop-down or create a new message.
Send to another queue: Select this to send your caller to a secondary call queue. You can do this if you want to route the call to a different team so that no call is missed, even if the agents in this queue are offline or unavailable. You can select from the list of call queues you have created earlier or create a new call queue. This is called “Smart Escalation.”
Hangup: Select this to end the call after playing a message. You can choose the message you wish to play to your caller before the call is terminated.
Place caller in wait queue: Select this to place the incoming calls in a virtual queue - i.e., in line to be answered - when all your agents are busy attending other calls, unavailable, or offline.
To activate a wait queue, select "Place caller in Wait Queue" and scroll to the "Wait queue settings" dropdown at the bottom of the page.
Define the maximum queue size (i.e., number of callers waiting in line) and add the message to be played to any caller placed in the wait queue. You can select one from a list of your saved messages or create a new one.
You can also choose to communicate queue position to callers by toggling the Append Queue Position to Wait Message option.
Specify what happens to the call if the maximum queue size is exceeded. For example, if the maximum queue size is 5 people, you can direct the 6th caller in that queue to leave a voicemail, hang up, or to be attended to by another queue (Smart Escalation).
You can also set a maximum wait time within a wait queue. This prevents customers from waiting on the line endlessly even if they're within the maximum queue size for that queue.
After you configure all the required settings, click Save to save all changes.
4. SIP Phones
SIP helps you connect an IP enabled external phone device with your Freshworks CRM phone settings. With SIP, you can now forward your incoming calls coming to ring on your external phone(hard phone or a soft phone).
To set up SIP phones, go to Admin Settings > Phone (under Communication Channels) > SIP Phones.
To activate SIP only for a selected set of agents, click the New SIP credentials option on the right top corner of your screen.
Once an agent is activated to use the SIP phone, the agent will be added to the list of users under the SIP phones section.
You can also select when you want the agents to receive calls on the SIP phone. To do this, hover-over the agent name choose between Yes or No options under the Receive on Phone column.
When you hover over the user’s name, you will see additional icons:
Edit: click this to edit the SIP user details
Resend: Click this to resend SIP credentials
Delete: Click this to delete the user name.
To receive calls over SIP, each agent needs to set their Receiving on SIP phone status to Yes.
5. Business Hours for Calls
Each business has dedicated business hours and chances are that you may not work 24x7. With phone settings, you can customize your team's business hours and control what happens to calls that come during your non-business hours.
Configuring business hours ensure that your agents never miss any call during their break time. Also, as an admin, you can make smart routing actions such that the calls that come in non-business hours have a proper fallback option.
To configure business hours, go to Admin Settings > Phone (under Communication Channels) > Business Hours for Calls and click New Business Hours.
Enter a name for your business hours. This is useful if your number is used by specific regions or teams.
Select a Timezone, based on the region you expect to receive calls from.
Set custom time for every day of the week during which callers can reach your business. By default, your business hour is set as Mon-Fri, 8:00hrs to 17:00hrs.
Click on the edit icon to modify the default business hours or add new business hours using the Add Business Hours option.
By adding new business hours, you can set your weekend business hours (Sat and Sun) to be different from the weekdays.
Use the Add time slot option to further customize business hours for a single day.
Click on the Add Business Hours option to save the changes.
Note: Ensure that you configure business hours for each number that you have in your account.
6. Messages and Greetings
Welcome messages are the first interaction customers have with your business. In Freshworks CRM you can have different messages for different scenarios. For example, the messages you play when customers call outside business hours should be different from the one you play during business hours or holidays.
The custom messages you create can be used with the numbers you purchase. Different numbers can have different associated messages. You can also use these messages while configuring your call center rules or call flows. At any point, you can edit your messages or search for them from your messages tab.
To create a custom message, go to Admin Settings > Phone (under Communication Channels) > Messages and Greetings and click New Message.
Enter the message's name. For example, Voicemail, call wait message, welcome greeting, etc.
You can create a message in three ways:
Record your voice: Click the Record button to record the message in your own voice.
Upload message: If you already have a pre-recorded audio message in mp3 format, click Upload and add your message.
Text to speech: Type your message using the text box and we will read that message for you.
Select between male or female voice to play your text to speech message. Also, select the language in which you want to play the text to speech message.
Click Save changes.
Note: If you want to route your callers without playing any message, you can create a blank message. To do this, use the Text-to-speech message option and type a “.” (dot).
In the next chapter, learn how to configure chat settings in Freshworks CRM.