Whether you are migrating from another CRM or importing from spreadsheets, you need to move the data into Freshworks CRM, so you can keep track of all your customer information in one place. You can import specific records, i.e, Contacts, Accounts, and Deals separately, with the Freshworks CRM data import feature. You can opt for migration if you are moving from another CRM and need to move all data from it.
Also note that, while migration is only an admin setting, import can be performed by users in their respective accounts as well.
Migrate From Another CRM
Freshworks CRM supports migration from Salesforce, Pipedrive, Insightly, Zoho, and SalesforceIQ. Start by exporting each module data from your other CRM as .CSV files in a zipped folder. You can import your contacts, accounts, deals, and activities (tasks, appointments, and notes) into Freshworks CRM.
- Before you begin import
- Before you migrate your data, here’s a list of things you need to prepare:
- Create users
Create users to associate with the records that you migrate, You can also create new users by uploading a list of users as a ZIP file.
- Create custom fields
Create custom fields in Freshworks CRM to match with the custom fields from your source CRM. Before you begin the import, run a test migration with sample data, and fix the data if any errors arise.
- To begin import go to Admin settings > Migrate from another CRM (under Data Import and Migration), choose your source CRM and upload the zip file. In the overlay, check the two boxes confirming that users and custom fields have been created. Only then can you upload your zip file.
- Next, choose the zip file to upload. For CRMs that do not provide ZIP export, export the .CSV/ .XLSX files, compress the folder containing all files to ZIP and upload. Once uploaded, check the authorization checkbox and hit Import.
Note: You can only import files less than 250 MB in size. If your ZIP file is greater than 250MB, reach out to support to manage import.
- Import history
- When the import is complete, you will be redirected to the import history page where you can view summary cards for the recent imports.
- You will also receive an import status email with a summary of the import. It shows the number of records in the .CSV/.XLSX file, records updated from the file and, the number of records that failed to import.
- If some of your data wasn’t imported, the details of the error log will be attached to the email. Fix the errors in the file and re-import.
Import From .CSV/.XLSX File
- Prepare your .CSV/.XLSX file
- Begin import by preparing your file. Make sure your .CSV/.XLSX file has a column that can be mapped to the Last name field for contacts and Account name for accounts in Freshworks CRM. These are mandatory fields that must be mapped for import to complete successfully. Mapping all mandatory fields ensures that you maintain data hygiene in your CRM when importing.
- Create custom fields in Freshworks CRM to map with the custom fields in the CSV/XLSX file. For example, if your account has a custom field in your CSV/XLSX file named ‘Subscription number’, ensure that you create this field in the respective module in Freshworks CRM.
- If you want to import data for multi-select fields, separate the data with semicolons (;). For example, for the multi-select field, Industry, separate the different industries like real estate, SaaS, Finance, etc. with semicolons in the .CSV/.XLSX file.
- For checkbox fields, ensure the values are either 1 or 0 or True or False.
Note: Ensure that the file size does not exceed 5MB.
- Identify duplicates
- To begin import go to Admin settings > Import your Data (under Data Import and Migration), choose which module data you wish to import, and upload the .CSV/.XLSX file. All records get added as new records in Freshworks CRM.
- You can choose to identify duplicate records and match them based on identifiers (Email, Freshworks CRM ID, Phone number, Work number, etc.) Choose which identifier to use to detect duplicate records.
- Next, choose how to manage these duplicates.
- Skip import for all duplicate records.
- Update all duplicates ‘without overwrite’ – will update only blank fields or ‘with overwrite’ – will update all fields and overwrite the values present in the fields.
- Pick a format for the date fields
- Next, choose a format for the date fields in your file. You can choose between
- Manage email subscriptions and map owner
Choose if you want to subscribe contacts to all types of emails and click the confirmation checkbox.
Choose a user who will be assigned as an owner for all records that are unassigned (i.e the owner field is left empty on the .CSV/.XLSX file). You can also mark the lifecycle stage of all records. And hit Next.
- Mapping columns of .CSV/.XLSX to fields
- Once the file is uploaded, the next step is to map the fields. By default, some headers will be automatically identified by Freshworks CRM and will be mapped to the corresponding fields. For the others, you can manually map them by choosing from the drop-down.
- Note that mandatory fields and the field you’ve chosen to find duplicates need to be mapped to start the import.
- Ensure that the field type matches the type of value in the column in the file. If you map a numeric field in Freshworks CRM to a text field in your file, the record will not get imported to Freshworks CRM.
- If there are columns you do not wish to import, you can skip them by leaving them unmapped.
- Once a field is mapped, it is unavailable to be mapped with another field.
- After you have mapped all fields, hit Import.
- Import history
Once the import is complete, you will be redirected to the Import History page. You can see summary cards for historic imports and get information on the number of records successfully imported, how many failed etc.
For each import, click on the View Record option to view the list of records imported.
You will also receive an import summary email with a summary of the import.
- Reason for failure
- In the case of import failure, check the import file for these possible reasons:
- Invalid email address: If the email addresses in your .CSV/.XLSX file aren’t of the proper format (For example, jamessampleton@sales, jamessample.com)
- Unmapped Columns: If the columns aren’t mapped with any of the fields in Freshworks CRM.
- Improper Field Type: If the field type is different from the type of value in the column.
- Drop-down Values: If you’re mapping a column with values for a picklist (such as Radio button/Checkbox/Drop down menu) with a picklist field in Freshworks CRM), ensure that the values in the column match the choices of the field (picklist) in Freshworks CRM. For example, if you’ve got a column that has the values 1, 2, 3 for a field and want to map it to a radio button field in Freshworks CRM, make sure that that radio button has 1, 2, 3 as the field’s choices.
- Checkbox column values: If you want to map one of the fields as a checkbox, it should only contain True or False. If not, the import for that column would remain blank.
- The records from your old CRM or spreadsheets will now be available in Freshworks CRM. You can view the imported records using the ‘Recently imported’ filter.
Now that you've migrated your records to Freshworks CRM, let's move to the next chapter on how to set up email.